Friday, May 31, 2013

Welcome to Sci-Fri!

Hello,

I know how amazed you are with my awesomeness in regard to the name for today's activity.  I have to admit, I am also amazed at my awesomeness.  Sci-Fri!!

I apologize for the picture quality.  My kitchen doesn't have great light.

Today we did an experiment with pressure.  It's an oldie but a goodie.  The classic "hard boiled egg into a bottle" experiment.

2


Normal scientists only have laws of nature to contend with, but we had this little imp to battle.  Lets just say that smashing hard boiled eggs on the table was an amusing experience.

2


So after bribing Izzy with skittles, we began.

DSC_0102
 I was worried that the bottle opening was to small, but I didn't really have many other options. It worked ok.  It pulled the egg about half way in, but it didn't make that awesome plunk sound that I remember from science class so we tried a different bottle.

2


Amazingly enough, this worked better! I was worried that there wouldn't be enough oxygen, but it worked fine.

2
Izzy started singing the Happy Birthday song when we lit the matches.

2
I explained about pressure and heat and all that good stuff to Amorie and when I asked her after why the egg got pulled into the bottle she said "The air inside got super excited and wanted to come out so it pulled the egg out of the way." Works for me!

2 comments:

G Sauce said...

First - the title is pretty awesome. I thought so even before I read the post.

Second - you make super cute babies.

Third - I love Amorie's explanation!

Unknown said...

Love the pictures and the experiment, but where are the pictures of the new baby?